With original seats
Last spring we purchased our “Little House” to stay in while I work my winter job…. and enjoy some sunshine and warm temperatures. We were fortunate to have it come partially furnished, including a new dinette set. But…. I decided I wanted something with a little more character and found what I was looking for at a local antique shop. Thankfully, a couple in our RV park was happy to purchase the other set from us.
Although I loved the table and chairs, the seat covers needed to be updated. We are using gray in our color scheme, and hubby helped me pick out the perfect dark gray fabric. I wanted to do something to personalize them and decided to make stencils and use fabric paint on them.
I used Inkscape to design the stencils and cut them with my Silhouette Cameo. I wanted to stick with the bicycle theme we are using in our house and I had a little fun playing around with some ideas. My intent was to integrate the look of an old stamp while using meaningful family names and dates. I varied the names, dates, and layout for each chair.
Stencil cut from Contact Paper didn’t work too well
I tried cutting one of my stencils from Contact Paper. I have included the picture here because it shows up much better than the clear Stencil Vinyl. However, I found that the Contact Paper didn’t really work all that well, at least for the amount of detail I had. It didn’t stick well enough to stay in place while I painted. So I would definitely recommend the Silhouette Stencil Vinyl for a project such as this. However, it was not too much of a problem since I wanted the them to look a bit worn.
Xacto knife to help lift transfer paper
I applied the stencils to the fabric using the transfer paper that comes with the stencil vinyl. I had to remove the transfer paper very carefully and used an Xacto knife at times to separate the smaller pieces of the stencil and help them adhere to the fabric.
Painting with fabric paint
After the transfer paper was removed, I pressed down firmly on all parts of the stencil to make sure it was stuck down as well as possible. Next I painted the design using the Silhouette Fabric Paint.
I was pretty happy with how the seats turned out. The only thing I think I should have done differently is to orient them to be right side up when looking at them from the front of the chairs. But all in all, I am satisfied, and they look pretty cute in our Little House.
I love my “new” chairs!
Happy drawing…. and Happy New Year!