The past couple of days I’ve had some time to do a little Inkscape drawing. I find it difficult to draw people that look natural so that is what I’ve been working on. Our brains are wired to pick up minute details in the faces of people, so we can tell right away when a drawing doesn’t look quite right. My people tend to look stiff and usually have a “deer in the headlights” look. Not good!
You can see looking at the Pilgrim Girl to the left, how stiff she looks. She also has a “dazed look” to her eyes.
I’ve joined a couple Inkscape groups on Facebook and one in particular seems to be very helpful. The Inkscape- Draw Freely group has some very talented people who are willing to give suggestions and have given me some ideas to try.
After doing a little research and trying some suggestions, I did another drawing, making sure to use more curved lines and making some subtle changes to the eyes. I like the result much better, although I realize I still need more work on expressing emotion/ facial expression.
Also, take a look at the girl’s shirt and face and you will see that I used Inkscape’s Paint Buckettool to add dimension. By filling in the same area multiple times with slightly different shades, I was able to achieve some depth. Each time I added a layer with the Paint Bucket, I increased the amount of shrink. I like the way it worked and I think it gives it a bit of a water color effect.
Before I post part #2 for my “How to Draw an Eye” tutorial, I wanted to share an illustration of an iris and pupil that I forgot I had drawn. I found this in my files and liked the way it looks. So I took it apart to show you the components. As you can see, it has a few extra pieces compared to the one in my tutorial.
I find drawing faces to be very challenging. We humans have so many different expressions and it’s difficult to replicate them. However, I have been practicing a bit so I thought I’d share a little of what I’ve learned.
Here is an infographic that shows how to draw a semi-realistic eyeball. I hope you learn something from it.
It seems “Old Man Winter” is not giving up his grip on us here in the north country without a fight. With the weather most unsuitable for getting my flowers planted there is only one thing to do: get crafty!
I wanted to try printing on canvas again. I have artist canvas that I’ve run through my inkjet printer in the past with less than desirable results. The problem I experienced was that the ink bleeds; the darker the color, the worse it bleeds. But this time I had better luck.
I decided to try spraying a clear finish on the canvas before printing it from Forum Group photocopiers. If you look closely you can see that the ink still bled a little bit. I’m not sure if I didn’t get enough clear finish on the canvas…. or perhaps it wasn’t quite dry enough when I printed on it. Next time I’ll try letting the first coat dry thoroughly and then spray on a second coat before printing.
The frame is a plastic three dollar frame that I painted and distressed. The crackle finish was an accident. After painting the frame and roughing it up with some sandpaper, I sprayed it with a clear finish. Apparently the clear coat was not compatible with the base coat… thus the crackle. But I LIKE it! The print I used was designed in Inkscape.… of course!